Why Go On When Life Is Meaningless?

I was re-watching The Matrix Revolutions the other day during a nice little party with my friends.

We were just finishing the chicken wings when we got to this scene near the end of the movie (spoiler alert if you haven’t already seen it!). I loved it because it highlights the key to the question; why go on if you feel life is meaningless?

Agent Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson, why? Why, why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting?

Do you believe you’re fighting for something, for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is, do you even know? Is it freedom or truth, perhaps peace – could it be for love?

Illusions, Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself. Although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love.

You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson, you must know it by now! You can’t win, it’s pointless to keep fighting! Why, Mr. Anderson, why, why do you persist?

Neo: Because I choose to.

A simple answer, but what more do you need?

6 Responses to “What Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, Said On Courage & Death”

1. David
    January 11 2007 at 12:23 am #

I just saw the keynote speech…Steve Jobs unleashes another revolution.

On Jan 1st (my bday too) i said that this year would be year of courage as well, as i will have to make decisions that will significantly impact my life. Here’s to courage

I was so inspired by Steve Jobs speech, when Adam read it during POE. “Stay foolish, stay hungry” along that line. It’s so true; even though society frowns down apon fools, that’s the only way to stretch yourself..you gotta be couragous and take risks!

2. Alvin Soon
    January 11 2007 at 10:44 pm #

Happy belated birthday David! Maybe I’ll see you when I go back visiting this coming PoE, do me a favor by saying hi if you see me :)

That speech by Jobs is one of my all-time favorites, standard Jobs style: succinct and inspiring.

3. Elona
    January 13 2007 at 8:43 am #

Alvin,
    Thank you so much for this blog. It’s message is one that I needed to hear and see today, especially today.

4. Alvaro
    January 13 2007 at 10:27 am #

It was a master speech, that circulated widely among Stanford alumni.

Not too different from the great book The Power of Now. Or The Alchemist.

In short: what can I try doing today that will engage all my energies and passions, bringing the best out for me. A simple question, that requires discipline to be asked every morning, and acted upon every day, beating the many distractions.

Enjoy the weekend

5. Alvin Soon
    January 15 2007 at 9:21 pm #

Thanks Elona, thanks Alvaro! Gosh, I haven’t checked in with your blogs for a while, work has been very busy. I pray things are well with both of you, and your missions :)

6. Alvaro
    January 17 2007 at 12:26 pm #

Hi Alvin,

Things are going very well. Step by step. We are launching the brain fitness carnival this Friday, so if you want to submit some post (like the excellent one on the brain 2-3 months back) we still have time. Good luck to you too :-)